5. Dump Wagon - 1910 -1915.
Used to haul gravel and other road building material. Also called a “Belly Dump” for the metal-lined doors of the bed, which were opened by a chain mechanism to drop the load onto the roadway. This is one of the more complex wagons in the exhibit, and the youngest. It looks like one of the oldest because of the hard service it's seen, with rocks and gravel shoveled hit or miss into the wagon. This is another wagon owned by Joseph Wood and donated in 1965.
Rear oblique view of the dump wagon. The wheels are wide and strong, with rim rivets at each spoke.
Front view. The front wheel wells on either side made the wagon capable of sharp turns.
The Wheel Well
This photo of the other side better shows a wheel well. It was taken before all the wagons were in place. Note also the much larger front axle support plate (arc) than in other wagons.
Interior view shows metal lining and bottom doors.
Rear view of chains that held dump doors in closed position.
Chain and Rod
Chain and rod leading to door opening and closing mechanism.
Hole For Chain and Rod
Hole for chain leading to front of door (near center of photo), and take-up wheel on door opening shaft (at right). The rod from the rear door chain connects (not seen here) to the same take-up wheel as the front door chain, assuring that the front and back of the door dump evenly. The door on the other side operates identically.
Levers and Rachet Arrangement
Levers and ratchet arrangement for opening and closing the doors(below missing driver's seat). The shaft connects to the chain take-up wheels on either side of the wagon. The driver lifts both dump doors simultaneously by pulling the long lever again and again to rotate the take-up shaft. The ratchet dog flips up to allow forward lever motion without turning the shaft. The doors are opened by pulling the release (shorter) lever, which lifts up the dog by cam action.
Dump Wagon In Action
A dump wagon in service during San Francisco area road construction.